Meath SHC final: Dramatic conclusion as Kildalkey earn a replay with 14 man Kiltale

October 6, 2019

Kildalkey’s Nicky Potterton with Iarla Hughes Kiltale during the Meath SHC final at Pairc Tailteann. Photo: Hogan Stand

Kiltale and Kildalkey will have to do it all over again after this entertaining Meath senior hurling championship final draw played in ideal conditions at Páirc Tailteann.

Kiltale 1-13 Kildalkey 1-13

Kildalkey will be wondering tonight just how they left this won behind them. A Noel Kirby goal after 25 minutes of the second half had The Village four points to the good and a first Jubilee Cup title since 2011 looked on the cards.

Kiltale were dealt a major blow in the early minutes of the second half when influential forward Mark O’Sullivan was sent off.

Jack Regan, who by his own standards had a quiet afternoon, came to the rescue for the six in a row chasing Kiltale with a goal and a point  to tie up the game and the county star raised another white flag to give the holders the lead with two minutes of injury time remaining.

With time up referee Richie Morris awarded Kildalkey a free and Paddy Conneely pointed to earn his side a replay.

The game only came to life with Kirby’s goal and Kildalkey went in at the break 0-8 to 0-6 in front after playing with the breeze.

Before the game there was a minutes silence observed for the late Fintan Ginnity, former Chairman of the Meath County Board, who passed away last Thursday.

Kiltale: Shane McGann, Iarla Hughes, Philip Garvey, David Donoghue, Stephen Donoghue, Ronan Ryan, James Kelly, Willie Mahady, Padraig Kelly, Adam Murphy 0-2, Cathal McCabe, Jack Regan 1-6, Ross Ryan 0-1, Fearghal McCabe 0-1, Mark O’Sullivan 0-2.
Subs: Shane Lenehan, Peter Durnin 0-1, Chris Reilly. 

Kildalkey: Mark McCormack, David Conneely, Gary Kelly, Brendan McKeon, James McNally 0-1, David Harmon, Mairtin Doran, Patrick Potterton 0-1, Padraig Geoghegan, Mark Healy, Kevin McKeon 0-1, Sean Heavey 0-1, Nicky Potterton 0-1, Paddy Conneely 0-6, Luke Rickard 0-1.
Subs: Noel Kirby 1-1, Niall McNally.

Referee Richie Morris

Match report via